The Clovis Fire Department is always looking for new recruits.
Applicant should have the following at minimum:
Minimum 18 years of age
High school diploma or GED
A valid driver’s license
All job applications are accepted online. Other inquiries should be directed to the Executive Administrator at the Clovis Fire Department, 320 Mitchell St, Clovis, NM 88101, 575-769-7814 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB DESCRIPTION 05/18
POSITION: FIREFIGHTER RECRUIT
DEPARTMENT: FIRE DEPARTMENT
This position provides a range of services designed to protect the lives and property of the citizens of the City of Clovis and Curry County from adverse effects of fires, exposure to dangerous conditions created by either man or nature. This position will serve in a probationary capacity for one year from the date of hire. Rotating shifts are year round of 24 hours on duty, 48 hours off duty with the possibility of a flex schedule for training.
Supervision for all personnel is maintained by the organizational command structure, and defined by rank under the appropriate job description. Under the supervision of a Lieutenant the primary responsibility of Firefighter Recruit is to attain the requirements of Firefighter and respond to all assigned calls in the most appropriate and efficient manner.
- Must be a United States citizen and possess a High School Diploma ( or equivalent.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a NM driver’s license class E or A within ten days of employment (or equivalent).
- Must have a good driving record to meet the City of Clovis driving requirements.
- Must undergo a background investigation.
- Must successfully pass a written exam, physical agility test, and an oral interview.
- Must pass a medical exam and drug screen test that meets physical requirements set forth by the NFPA guidelines 1582 and the Clovis Fire Department.
- Must have no convictions in any court of theft, driving while intoxicated, or any controlled substance charge within the last 3 years.
- If served in the military, must have an honorable discharge.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond to the scene of emergency and non-emergency calls.
- Carry out all orders from supervisors.
- Must meet Firefighter I standards within 1st year.
- Operate as a member of a team and independently, at incidents of uncertain duration.
- Learn a variety of technical skills, including but not limited to: proper care and use of SCBA, search and rescue operations, ground ladders, hose lays, fire streams, hand and power tool operations, ropes and knots, forcible entry and vehicle extrication.
- Learn computer skills necessary to submit complete reports.
- Learn to properly file building and equipment maintenance reports.
- Obtain EVO certification and operate assigned vehicles in a safe manner with due regard for the public.
- Participate in drills, training classes and attend continuing education and refresher training programs as required by employers, medical direction, licensing, and certifying agencies as assigned.
- Learn to operate all department radio communication equipment.
- Gain knowledge of response area geography and streets to accepted department standards.
- Perform company inspections on public and privately owned buildings.
- Ability to interpret written, oral and diagnostic instruction.
- Utilize appropriate protective equipment furnished by the department for personal safety.
- Demonstrate proficiency in all certification areas.
- Analyze a variety of situations and adopt a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action.
- Utilize good judgment, advanced knowledge and technical skills to direct other team members.
- Must satisfactorily complete and pass all exams, practical drills, activities and assessment.
- Must obtain acceptable written test scores on all probationary exams.
- Perform routine maintenance work on city property and equipment.
- Keep immediate supervisor fully and accurately informed on all issues.
- Conduct behavior at all times in a professional manner to reflect positively on the Fire Department and the City of Clovis.
- Perform other department activities as assigned.